Wednesday 20 July 2011

And so the obsession began...



I remember when I was little, one of my favourite games was rummaging through my mother's velvet lined jewellery box. It was stuffed full with glittering treasures, silver and gold trails and trinkets would spill out onto the dresser and by the time I had finished cocktail rings would adorn every finger and thumb. Years later I was given custody of some of these childhood treasures. My favourite was a dusty brown quartz ring nestled in a gold leafy shell. Costume jewellery, so of no monetary value but once belonging to my grandmother it has become my go to accessory. For any important meeting, interview, event it's the first thing that goes on, usually sitting comfortably on my right middle finger. It doesn't even have to be a special occasion, it's my glittery comfort blanket. So this ring was the treasure that opened the floodgates and since then my obsession with jewels has spilled spectacularly into my day to day life. It is my firm belief that accessories maketh the outfit. You could be wearing battered blue jeans and a grey tee but slip on a chunky ring or a statement necklace and immediately the style balance is tilted from scruff to chic elegance. So that's the story from the beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment